So… things didn’t quite go to plan. Fear not – there was a backup plan… probably one that we should have just done in the first place.
We started over from scratch.
After two days of framing, planning, and trips to town – Matt got our coop under roof. I think it’s looking so good! I can’t wait to get the chickens
out of the basement into their new home! Matt is going to finish putting siding from the shed on the coop tonight and then only a few things are left: hang door, nesting box, nesting box access door, roosts, window coverings, and of course fencing. I’m also going to paint the inside – brighten it up a bit – and build a food hopper for the inside of the coop. Thought it would take up less floor space than a hanging feeder.
We got the metal roof from our Uncle who had some left over, and put some vinyl flooring scraps that we found in the barn on the floor of the coop. Matt had an enthusiastic helper on that job. 🙂 It’s not the prettiest looking thing in the world but I don’t think poop cares about that.
The weather has finally taken a favorable turn. Our rhubarb is popping up and we started the garden, yay!! Matt, with the help of a battery charger, got the tractor up and purring to plow up the garden. He then tilled it the next day.
We got beets, onions, broccoli, and cabbage in the ground. Matt even brought home a surprise for me – ASPARAGUS! I don’t know how many people would get excited over a vegetable that takes 3 years to fully produce, but I sure did! The sooner we get them puppies planted, the sooner they’re here in my kitchen!
So with all this going on, of course Mother Nature brings in rain for the next few days. We’ll get our work in here and there and then move on to the next thing. I’m really starting to feel like Spring is finally here…
It’s about time.